Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes

Last night I made meatloaf, deceptive mashed potatoes (they have cauliflower in em), and steamed green beans, wax beans, and carrots. It was all so filling I didn't get hungry the whole rest of the night. The recipe was passed down from Scott's late grandmother, Dot Holmquist.


Gran's Meat Loaf

1 lb ground beef, (I used ground turkey)
1 egg
1/2 c chopped green bell pepper
1/2 c diced onion
1/4 milk
3/4 tube crushed crackers
1 scant Tbsp all-spice
1 scant Tbsp sugar
1 tsp dill weed, (I didn't have any of this, so I used a little celery salt)
1/2 c ketchup
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
* I added 1/2 cup chopped carrots to add another veggie, next time I will use pureed carrots, because Alli won't eat them if she can see them.

combine all, put in a loaf pan, and bake @ 350, 1 hour, covered.

combine 1/4 c ketchup, 2 Tbsp brown sugar, 1 Tbsp mustard. spread over top and bake another 30 min, uncovered.

MMMMMMMMMMMMM Good.
The night before that, I also made a McFarland family tradition called "Soppin' Chocolate".
Here's how that goes:

Cook some biscuits, canned or scratch. While they are cooking combine in a small sauce pan, over med-low heat:

Cocoa powder
Sugar
Water
Vanilla 1 cap full

Do about 2 Tbsp sugar to 1 Tbsp Cocoa. I used about 1/2 cup water, and about 3 Tbsp cocoa. Taste it and see if you need to add more cocoa or sugar.
Let this simmer and cook down to a syrup, stirring often. When syrup coats a spoon when dipped in, it's done. Let it cool a little, and it will thicken up a little more, but do serve it a little bit warm over the biscuits.

No comments: