Monday, December 17, 2007

Black Beans and Rice


Last night I made Black Beans and Rice. It's just like traditional Southern Red Beans and Rice, only I didn't have any red beans, so I used black ones!

Jenn's Red (or Black) Beans and Rice -

First get your water started for your rice. I use brown rice that has to soak for 15 minutes and then takes about 20-25 minutes to cook. So I get this process started first.

1 bell pepper, diced
1 onion, diced
3-5 cloves garlic (to your liking), minced
3 stalks celery, chopped however you like it.
Saute all the above in a big skillet.
Add 1 lb smoked sausage. I have taken to using little cocktail smoked sausages cut into 3rds, because we like little bites.
2 cans red beans not drained (if you use black beans, drain and rinse them, and add about a cup of water and a teaspoon of sugar to the pan)
1-2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 bay leaves
2 tbsp parsley
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2-3 splashes hot sauce
Simmer for a while till liquids condense a little. Taste to see if more pepper or salt needs to be added.

MMMMMMM!

No comments: