Friday, December 28, 2007

Deception

My mom gave me a new cook book for Christmas! "Deceptively Delicious" by Jessica Seinfield.

I made the french toast in it this morning with bananas in it! My kids, neither of whom like bananas very much, didn't even notice any difference. I bought my veggies today, and will be pureeing away tonight! It involves chopping up veggies, so you know I'll be having a good time!

Tonight's dinner is leftover soup that I made last night. I cooked an 18lb turkey, so I would have leftovers, and boy do I! I put 12 cups of chopped turkey in the freezer, and about 2 gallons of broth from boiling the meat off the bones! So, I made turkey soup.


Jenn's Turkey Soup -
1 onion, diced and sauted
1 can crushed tomatoes
1/2 can black beans, rinsed
2 cans mixed veggies
1/2 cup dry lentils
1-2 cups chopped cooked turkey, according to your desired meatiness.
2 tsps or so italian seasoning
1 tsp or so oregano
1/tsp or so tarragon
a little celery salt, garlic powder, and white pepper to taste
1/2 cup or so orzo pasta
4 or more cups of water. I kept adding as it was cooking.

Simmer until lentils are tender, then add the orzo and simmer until done. Taste about 10 min before serving and adjust seasoning accordingly. The orzo soaks up some of the flavor and salt, so, a little more may be needed.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Wow you have become a gourmet diva! I didn't know that you were such a cook. I want that book, but I'm not sure I'd follow through on making the food. I looked through it at a book store and noticed several things had peanut butter and Taylor's allergic to peanuts. We're actually thinking about the name Ally for our 3rd. It is really hard for us to agree on anything. We have a short list of names that we're both OK with and now we need to pick one.