Thursday, December 6, 2007

Bah Humbug!

It's not that I don't like Christmas, it's the gluttony of the holidays that I just don't care for. As I think about what to get for who, and all the shopping that involves, the more I really would like to just donate all we spend to the starving children in Africa.

I used to love to find that perfect gift for each person. It is quite self-serving even when you're giving, when it makes you feel good to know they won't be returning your gift. Sad isn't it?

Well, I've come along way in the past few years, and God has taught me alot about wasted time, wood, hay, and stubble. I want to spend my time, money, effort and energy on things that matter, and things eternal.

I love the part about Christmas that brings family and friends together for food, fun, and fellowship (doesn't that sound baptist - lol). I think it would be more fun and less stressful, and more eternal to donate, instead of sit around in a circle swapping unneeded gifts we got each other at the last minute. We might as well just swap $20 bills, and not feel obligated to pretend we love what we got! I'd rather eat, play games, and go serve at the soup kitchen.

No comments: